Friday, November 20, 2009

Thanksgiving Friday Five

The Cure
Lying around all day
with some strange new deep blue
weekend funk, I'm not really asleep
when my sister calls
to say she's just hung up
from talking with Aunt Bertha
who is 89 and ill but managing
to take care of Uncle Frank
who is completely bed ridden.
Aunt Bert says
it's snowing there in Arkansas,
on Catfish Lane, and she hasn't been
able to walk out to their mailbox.
She's been suffering
from a bad case of the mulleygrubs.
The cure for the mulleygrubs,
she tells my sister,
is to get up and bake a cake.
If that doesn't do it, put on a red dress.
--Ginger Andrews (from Hurricane Sisters)


So this Friday before Thanksgiving, think about Aunt Bert and how she'll celebrate Thanksgiving! And how about YOU?


1. What is your cure for the "mulleygrubs"?

My deal with the mulleygrubs is I give them 24 hours – if I’m sad, I cry. If I’m mad, I rant. But, after 24 hours it’s time to get up and get moving – mentally and physically.


2. Where will you be for Thanksgiving?

In Newcomerstown OH at my sister’s home.


3. What foods will be served? Which are traditional for your family?

It varies from year to year, but always turkey – sometimes with an extra dish of beef and noodles or ham, homemade noodles, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, vegetables – usually beans or corn. My husband calls it “white food” Thanksgiving. The favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner for me used to be Wilma’s apple pie and homemade rolls and pickles that came off the shelves down in the cellar – but alas, those days are gone with the death of Mary Ross and Wilma Stonebrook.


4. How do you feel about Thanksgiving as a holiday?

It is really one of my favorite holidays since there’s no expectations of gifts. It’s just a time to enjoy family around the table, play games, watch a movie together.


5. In this season of Thanksgiving, what are you grateful for?

More and more, I am thankful for family.

Music that allows my heart and soul to soar above the commonplace moments of our lives.

Memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment