I am pinch hitting today, my first time, as your Friday Five RevGal. Like the song "The Macarena" was for Los Del Rio, this could very well be a one-hit wonder, so thanks for playing!
Today we play off of one of my favorite and most memorable Friday Fives to blog from: Decisions, Decisions posted by Songbird last July 23. I went back to that post to make sure I had new choices for you to make. I found out -- again -- that she was then, as I have been recently, in the midst of a discernment process and thinking about what goes into decision making.
A decision from history: There is a chair that still sits in the Assembly Room of the Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall). Legend has it that it was George Washington's chair, the back carved with a half sun. Benjamin Franklin would look at it and wonder whether it was a rising or a setting sun. Eventually Franklin decided it was the hopeful symbol of the rising sun, a sign of the future of our new republic.
How do you decide? Check out the following pairs and tell which one of each appeals to you most:
1) Sunrise or Sunset – Sunset
2) To the Mountains or To the Beach – to the beach
3) Coffee or Tea – Definitely tea, particularly since spending time in Malawi where tea time is a time of slowing down and giving thanks in the midst of the busy schedule. Tea time speaks of slowing down for gratitude, friendship and fellowship while coffee seems to be a frantic attempt to enable us to do more.
4) Advent or Lent – This was a tough call because I think both are important. However, Advent speaks of new beginnings and reminds me that God’s mercies are new every morning.
5) "Raindrops on Roses" or "Whiskers on Kittens" – absolutely no preference here ….
BONUS: Tell more about one of the pairs. Why did you choose it? Difficult or easy choice? A story from your own experience?