Jan at RevGalBlog Pals writes: Since posting about de-cluttering, I am still muttering about the need for it in my house. How about you?
Yes, I am feeling the need to de-clutter. We (I) definitely have too much stuff … too many clothes, too much of everything. My husband says I am becoming a hoarder, and while I argue, I am feeling very overwhelmed by stuff and the need to take care of the stuff – organize it, clean it, remember where it’s stored.
1. What things do you like to hang on to? I love dishes!
2. What is hard to let go of? This week it’s been tough sorting through my daughter’s collection of stuff. She graduated from college in May, married in July and is moving to San Diego in August. Not much is going with her … just 15 boxes shipped UPS and what could fit in her Kia Forte. She needs the money from stuff we sell to buy new stuff for her new life. It’s another bittersweet moment in our journey through life.
3. What is easy to give away? Things that will brighten someone else’s life … I tend to not mind giving stuff away but when I go to sell it – I always think “gee, you don’t get anything for it – might as well hang on to it.”
4. Is there any kind of stumbling block connected with cleaning out? After moving more times than I can count and nearly ridding myself of everything that wouldn’t fit in a U-Haul trailer or a pickup truck, never thought I would accumulate so much stuff. However, two five-year stents in one place led me to realize I like the stuff – it’s a sign of putting down roots and a desire to stay in one place. If I have too much to move, maybe I’ll stay put. I also am very hesitant to unpack the last box since every time I get to that point, it’s time to move again … this time I’ve left several things in the boxes …
5. What do you like to collect, hoard, or admire? Books, music, dishes, teapots.
Bonus: Tell us about recycling or whatever you can think of that goes along with this muttering about cluttering.
Truthfully, I’m not very good at recycling. However, this past year our church has been part of the Abitibi Recycling program. I find myself disposing of at least a box of paper every week. It feels good, and it’s encouraged me to think of recycling other items.
I’m also a fan of yard sales – which is a form of recycling – but also contributes to my tendency to collect stuff.